Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Stone Strong


What Does It Take To Make a Person "Stone Strong"?
Meet Lorie Stone

As Mitchell's Nursery and Greenhouse celebrates 40 years of business we also celebrate Lorie Stone and her 5 years as a full-time employee at the nursery.
Lorie was brought on board as a part-time employee in March 2014. It didn't take long before she had proved her worth and was promoted to full time. Lorie's story does not simply start and end right there. She has faced many challenges in her life and has managed to come through with dignity and humbleness that few people possess. Nothing in her difficult life could have prepared her for May 25, 2017. After seeing her family physician for some pain issues and being referred for tests, she was finally given the news that she had been diagnosed with Invasive Ductile Carcinoma, stage 2.
Lorie described that moment as " going deaf in every sense".  She tried to cry but couldn't find the tears. Her mother immediately went into mommy mode and gathered her strength and faith and assured Lorie that "God's got this. God's got you".
She then made the call to Judy Mitchell. Judy simply said, "we're going to get through this." A simple statement with a huge impact.
She began her chemotherapy on June 26, 2017, with four types of chemo every 3 weeks until November 1, 2017, when she underwent a bi-lateral mastectomy. She was once again given some traumatic news. Cancer had spread to her sentinel nodes and they were removed and drainage tubes had to be put in place to help avert any fluid accumulation. In December Lorie began the radiation phase of her treatment. Thirty treatments that left her very sick, very tired and very burned. Since Lorie's cancer was an estrogen fed type of cancer she had to undergo a total hysterectomy in February 2018.  In February of 2018, Lorie was declared cancer free. Her bout with cancer and its treatments left her with weakened bones and she still must undergo bone infusions every six months. The doctors had recommended a preventative chemo pill due to there being a high risk of reoccurrence, but it proved to be more than Lorie's body could handle and it left her exhausted and sick, so she put her faith in God and refused any more.
  Lorie has never quit working during the time that she was undergoing treatments and still had the drainage tubes she still managed to do things for the nursery from home and sometimes on site. It has been an uphill battle, but today Lorie has reestablished her full-time role at the nursery and has met some new responsibility with excitement and enthusiasm, as only she can.
When asked about the experience with cancer, she answered as follows:



" My parents have been there for me from the start. My mom stayed overnight with me in the hospital while my dad brought us food. My mom was trying to stay strong for me and she did. She never lost faith and she has been my rock. My dad wanted to be there but my mom was quick to remind him how fidgety he gets. I stayed with my parents after my surgery and they took care of me. My grandparents are precious to me. When I was diagnosed my grandpa had dementia but he was aware in the moment and he cried. That nearly broke my soul. My grandma depends on me and I promised my grandpa that I would take care of her after his passing. So I ain't done living. I have not once lost my faith or fight. The devil has tried many times in my life to take me out, but he doesn't have what it takes to take me or my God down. My family has shown me so much support and love, that they along with God, are my strength. Now I just want to give back. The Mitchells have been wonderful. I think of them as family. A family does not always have to be blood. I can't think of anywhere else that would be so supportive of their employees. Nothing makes me happier than making others happy. Now that I'm back to full time I make it a goal to put smiles on less than happy faces. I love the customers. There is no place I'd rather work. I'm not perfect but I am blessed."


Most days are good for Lorie now but occasionally she just needs a little extra rest time. But her improvements have been astonishing compared to where she was. Lorie is a customer favorite at Mitchell's. No matter how bad her day is she meets each one with a smile you can often hear her infectious laughter from across the nursery. She has solid knowledge and obvious love of life that makes each customer experience pleasant and efficient. It has been an uphill battle but we have watched you overcome and we respect you.



Mitchell's Nursery feels blessed to have Lorie as an integral part of the team. Thank you, Lorie, for 5 years and here's to many more.



         #STONESTRONG_____

11 comments:

Ellen Kirby said...

I had no idea about Lorie's struggles with cancer until recently when she helped me at the nursery. She barely mentioned her health until we talked about "giving back" and she told me about her support for other women at the Cancer Center. Lorie has helped me several times at the nursery and she always knows about the plants and gives me a lift with her wonderful personality. She's terrific. Ellen Kirby

Corinna said...

Beautiful story and beautiful person. She accompanied me last fall when I came to your nursery for the first time, with her smile, inspiring laugh, and we shared a wonderful time finding plants that I needed for my yard. I bought a lot of pansies--which are still blooming. We took a golf cart, since I have trouble walking but her love of plants and life were inspiring and I left not only with flowers but a thankful heart for meeting Lorie. Smile on and stay strong Lorie!

Jeanne said...

Hey Lorie - Didn't get to say "Goodbye" on my last day this season. However, I saw you waving unloading the truck and knew what you meant. It has been a great journey working with you for the past 5 seasons and you have always encouraged me with your faithful thoughts. I am very blessed to have been a part of your life. Not Goodbye but will see you again. Love Always Jeanne

Mitchell's Nursery said...

We are so happy that our customers know her worth as we do. Thank you for the comment.

Mitchell's Nursery said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. We love Lorie and are inspired daily by her love of life.

Mitchell's Nursery said...

Jeanne, thank you for your kind words. we will be sure that Lorie sees your comment. She is an inspiration to us all.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Ellen. It's always a pleasure to help you out any way I can.

Unknown said...

Awe thank you Corinna. Just to know that I was able to make things easy for you and put a smile on your face warms my heart.

Unknown said...

Hey Jeanne it's ok we didn't say goodbye cause we will see each other again many times. You and all my customers are blessings to me also. I just love you all. And thank you too.

Glad Douse said...

What?? Never once in the entire time I have been helped by Lorie did she ever show her personal struggles on the outside!! Stone strong indeed! As a BC survivor myself, I have an inkling what you have gone through, girl, and I admire you greatly for your courage and perseverance! Kudos to my favorite "pot head"!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Lorie's story. I always look forward to her warm smile. Lorie is a huge help when I come in to buy plants since I am new to the area. I look forward to seeing you soon.